Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Homemade Toothpaste recipe 2nd try!

I ordered some cute little bottles for my toothpaste from Elements Bath and Body and they just arrived a couple days ago and I finally was able to get my hands on some Xylitol, so today I got around to actually making my toothpaste.

I researched a few and then came up with a variation of what others have posted. Here's mine....

2 tsp. Dr. Bronners Liquid Castile Soap -almond
1 TBS. water
2 TBS. Xylitol (can be purchased at Sprout's)
4 TBS. Coconut Oil
3/4 capsule Myrrh
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. arrowroot powder
15 or so drops of peppermint and orange essential oils. Change this according to what you want it to taste like. For doTerra users, onguard blend would be a good one in here.

I mixed everything up in a glass measuring cup.
-Microwave the water and add in the Xylitol and baking soda to dissolve. Some people say not to use baking soda because it is too abrasive while others don't worry about it. I only used a little bit and I decided to dissolve it so hopefully it won't be as abrasive as in dry form.

Add in the coconut oil and mix together. It seemed pretty liquidy at this point and for me, my coconut oil doesn't usually stay in a hardened form no matter how cool my house is, so I decided to add a thickening agent in the form of arrowroot powder. I just added enough to get it a little thicker, and then I added in some myrrh.

I like myrrh because it has good oral health properties. I've often used it when I have a sore tooth or feel like I may have a cavity (brush with it at the end and then don't spit it out! Swallow, I know it seems wrong, but it's good for you!). It kills the pain almost immediately and helps fight cavities and other mouth related germs. It's just a great one to have on hand so I thought it would be great to actually use in my toothpaste too.

 I don't have the arrowroot pictured here because I added it in at the end to help thicken it up. Hopefully it won't be a bad ingredient, I don't see why it would. And I forgot I was going to use myrrh too, I didn't remember and get it out until I was almost finished.
 The finished product. I know it's hard to tell the consistency.
My toothpaste bottle. It's only 50 ml, but you only need a drop of this toothpaste. A little goes a long way.

For more information on Xylitol go to this site, http://www.xylitol.org/. It tells you all you need to know about the benefits of using this natural sweetener as part of your oral health regiment. It can actually help fight cavities! 

Now, I'm not really planning on making this to sell with my other products, but if you just don't want to, I can. Just email me and I will whip some up for you, but you will have to provide your own container because I only bought enough of these for my family to use. I'll charge $2.50 for a tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment